- 2 cups dried elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded American and Cheddar cheese blend
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces bison sausage, chopped
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, adding green pepper or peas during the last 3 minutes of cooking; drain. Cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Cook onion in hot butter for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in flour, salt, and black pepper. Add milk all at once. Whisk constantly until thick and bubbly. Cook, whisking constantly, for 2 more minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Add American & Cheddar cheese blend and mozzarella cheese, stirring until sauce is smooth and cheese is melted. Stir the sauce and bison sausage into the pasta. Heat through.
Click here for the souce of this recipe.